This morning, I woke up feeling like I had a hangover. I was dehydrated and exhausted. The last thing that I wanted to do was meet a co-worker for a slow 2 hour ride. The last 2 days of training had gotten to me. My morning heartrate was over 80 and all I really wanted to do was stay in bed.
However, knowing how excited my girlfriend was about riding, I knew that not going wasn’t an option. I slept as long as I could and pulled myself out of bed and got ready for my ride. Michael was fast asleep. I couldn’t even wake him to say goodbye!
The heat has been intense in Boulder for the last week. I was shocked to feel the heat at 7am. Usually it is much nicer at that time of the morning.
Jen and I headed out for our ride. She has raced one triathlon so far and she is totally excited about the sport. I really love hanging out with newbies because it reminds me of how I used to be when I first started. It makes me remember why I really got into the sport! She is also a really fun girl to hang out with. She is totally funny and a really talented athlete. We had a really good time riding down to Lyons and then to 66 and Hygiene…until she got a flat. To my surprise she knew exactly how to change it!!! She had a few problems removing the wheel and getting it back on, but she knew how to do the hard part! After quickly changing the flat, we headed home and said our goodbyes. (We saw each other later that day at work).
After coming home, I was not surprised to see Michael still in bed. That guy can sleep like a bear! As I came home and pulled myself together, Michael started his day. I thankfully went back to bed and Michael got on his bike. After I woke up (2hrs later), I was a new person. I was still tried and sore fromt eh past 2 days, but my heart-rate went down 20 beats and I was feeling much better. I thought to myself: there was a reason that I was supposed to take today off from training:). I also thought…maybe I shouldn’t exercise anymore today. I went to work around 1 and came home around 4:30 (just in time for the stroke and stride).
The Stroke and Stride is a low key race consisting of either a 750 meter swim or a 1500 meter swim followed by a 5k. There are no prizes. There is just the opportunity to hang out with friends and get a good hard workout in. Michael and I got there late, as usual, so we didn’t get a warm-up in. We just hung out with our friend Mel, waiting for the thunderstorm to blow by, in our wetsuits until it was time for us to go.
After Wes (the announcer) said go (I told you it was low key), people went crazy. It was the roughest swim ever. I was beaten, kicked, dunked, & puched, all within the first 5 minutes of the swim. That’s what happens when you get 200 competitive people together for an open water swim. You would have thought that it was the world championship stroke and stride race! After the first 750 meter loop, people seemed to spread out a lot. I was able to latch onto some feet and swim the second loop without getting touched!
After the swim, I had a difficult time getting my wetsuit off. I had to lay down and yank and pull until I was free! I started the run feeling fresh. I guess the water was invigorating and my legs seemed to feel pretty good. I was able to run a 18:40 5k and I feel really good about that, especially considering how I felt this morning.
After all was said and done, I found Michael and my friend Mel. We had a good laugh with some friends and ate some pizza.
I am really looking forward to the Stroke and Stride race series. i think it’s going to be a lot of fun this summer!
thanks for reading!