This morning started out really great. I woke up nice and early to join my friend Alex for our weekly ride. We had talked about times to meet earlier this week, and I was thinking that we had agreed on 8:30, however, Alex thought we had agreed on 8. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to ride together for very long. We did one 90 sec interval together before Alex had to leave to go to work. I found out later on the ride that it was a good thing I didn’t do those intervals with Alex. Today called for a long 5 hr ride and easy 30′ T-run. After Alex left me, I slowed considerably and decided that today might be a good day to climb to Estes Park. I rode towords Loveland and started climbing Big Thompson. After about 60′ of climbing, my quads were smashed. My legs are so tired from the hard training this week. I figured that if I kept on going up the canyon at that pace, it was going to take 7 hours to finish. After figuring that out, I made the executive decision to turn around! I was so glad to coast instead of spin up hill!!! However, when I did start pedaling again, my quads ached more! After my decent, I rode through Carter Lake and came home through Hygiene. Once in Hygiene, I saw several riders as it was a gorgeous day today. Sometimes I really enjoy seeing all of the riders as I am always looking for familiar faces. And sometimes I don’t like seeing all of the riders because they (9 times out 10) like to invite themselves on my wheel for a good draft home. Unfortunatley, today was the day that I had a uninvited guest. The last thing I wanted to do today was pull along some old guy back to Boulder. I was hot, I was tired, and most of all I was HUNGRY!!! Even though I had all of those feelings, the one emotion that over-rides all of those is being angry. At this point of my ride with Senor Wheel Sucker, I put my head down, and pedaled as hard as I could. Thankfully, his 30lb Huffy couldn’t keep pace with my fast Javelin. Shortly after my surge, he was gone. However, at this point, my legs were a mess! I limped home with the glory that I had won the battle against the enemy and pulled myself together for a run. At first, I was in so much pain. It wasn’t pretty either. However, after a few minutes, my legs came around and they actually felt ok….until I laid on the couch….for 2 hours….
As I sit here and write this entry, I can feel my legs throbbing. In a sick sense, I love it. It makes me feel like I did something hard today. Yet, another part of me is grateful that I don’t have to ride or run tomorrow:).
Tomorrow is a swim/work day…thank goodness!!!